Balinese Chicken Satay (Sate Ayam)
Balinese Chicken Satay (AKA Sate Ayam in Indonesian) is a very popular and widely available delicacy in Bali and throughout Indonesia. This dish consist of seasoned, skewered and grilled chicken served with peanut sauce (commonly known as satay sauce in Indonesia).
Founder of Bali in A Jar and Balinese Chef Desak Yoni shared her Chicken Satay recipe below, served with Bali in A Jar Satay Sauce that replicates the true and original taste of authentic Balinese delicacy.
Preparation time: approx. 15 minutes
Serve 4 people
- 500g chicken thigh fillets or breast fillets
- 20 bamboo sticks/skewers
- 2 tsp of vegetable oil
- 1 jar of Bali In a Jar Peanut Sauce
- 2 tsp Indonesian ABC Kecap Manis
- Cut chicken fillets into cubes, then pierce onto the skewer/bamboo stickb – around 3 to 4 cubes on each stick. Rub raw satays with vegetable oil to prevent them from sticking. Cook all 20 pieces of your satays on hot plate/BBQ/griller or on charcoal. Make sure your satays cook through on the inside and have turned brown in colour.
- In a small pot, pour the whole contents of a Bali In A Jar Peanut Sauce bottle, add a little water and heat on a low flame until mixed thoroughly.
- Alternatively, pour the Peanut Sauce bottle contents into a microwave safe bowl, add a little water and microwave on high for 1-2 minutes (until hot all the way through).
- Line up your satays on a serving plate, pour the heated satay sauce and then top with kecap manis, and if desired fried onions.
Serve these satays as an entrée or as a main meal with steamed white rice. ENJOY!
Perfect for a get-together Balinese night or lunch with friends and family.